Congratulations! You’re under contract on your new home. Now, it’s in your best interest to have a home inspection on the property by someone who knows what they are doing.
How can you make sure that you hire the right home inspector? Here are five tips:
1. What are their qualifications? What did they do before real estate inspecting? Were they a banker, or were they in construction? There is a big difference there. How many years of inspection experience do they have? How many inspections have they performed?
2. Ask for sample reports beforehand. That way, you can see what they look for in an inspection and how they format the reports. Sample reports let you know what to expect from your own home inspection.
3. Ask for references. Does the inspector have a list of people whose properties he or she has inspected that can speak about their experience with the inspector? Are there online reviews that corroborate that the inspector is a great inspector?
4. Ask about memberships. What professional groups do they belong to? They should all belong to the state board, but what other groups do they belong to that might benefit you?
5. What warranty or insurance does the inspector have? If they do make a mistake or leave something out of a report, what are they willing to do to make it right?
The bottom line is that while ignorance is bliss, that’s not true in real estate. It pays to know what you’re getting into before you close on a property.
If you have any questions about home inspections or the home buying process, just give me a call or send me an email. I would be happy to help you!